Tuesday, October 14, 2008

just like autumn leaves, we're in for change

lately, each day has been welcoming me into my favorite time of year. the sun shines through the most vivid colors that stretch up to that fall-blue sky, and the air is crisp. while it's not home, there's no denying its beauty and charm, and i have to admit, i've begun to fall in love with new england. all bright and glowing, the leaves and the way they look against the river, parks, even the city, are enough to keep me distracted from other things that sometimes cloud my mind. i'm enjoying these days, my true fall. i find myself wanting to slip on a thick chunky-knit sweater with tall leather boots,and head off to an apple orchard, or a pumpkin patch, or simply just stroll through the harvard campus. so far, i've only done the latter.

it's sister's favorite time too. we share our love for the change. knowing that we experienced a change just three years ago at this time that got us to where we are now. that fall, in 2005. with one loss, we gained so much.

then again, in 2006. the last few years and all its outcomes have stomped my fear of change. changing the part of my hair, having to give away my favorite shirt or losing my favorite earrings i've had for years...anything that broke routine used to throw me off. so unlike every other aspect of myself, it was the one thing about me that i knew i needed to change. and that, in itself, was scary. but time took care of that for me. as did the reconnection with my sister and meeting eric. but mostly, i began not just accepting, but taking charge of, who i was becoming. i woke up one morning unafraid of what might come if i got out of bed on the "wrong" side. now, accepting change is a part of my daily life and because of all it has offered me, i wouldn't have it any other way.

for you, here's a glimpse of my view:


2 comments:

ab said...

change will set you free, forces you to grow, dares you to live. and you do all those things beautifully. i love you sister.

Susannah Maddux said...

Thankful for your view! Can't wait to see you.